Friday, March 19, 2010

I never knew about Quinoa...

I don't follow recipes very well. Instead of measuring each ingredient precisely, I pretty much just 'wing' it.

Have you ever heard of quinoa? Me neither, until a few months ago. It's a grain closely related to beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. The Incas found this crop to be sacred. No wonder. The high protein grain is also full of essential amino acids. Love it!














Photo: www.wikipedia.com 

This is one versatile grain. It can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The common cooking method is similar to rice. I bought quinoa at Sunflower Market by the scoop. When I finally decided to try cooking it, I spilled the tiny seeds all over the place!

While reading the latest copy of Food & Wine magazine, I found a yummy-sounding recipe for a quinoa and squash salad. Instead of using the ingredients the recipe called for, I just used whatever I had in the refrigerator. And here's what I came up with...














Ingredients: Cilantro, onion, green apple, butternut squash, extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and...quinoa. This is a perfectly fresh, spring salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment